SOME MINISTRIES ARE ON HOLD – OR HAVE CHANGED – BECAUSE OF COVID-19. CONTACT THE OFFICE AT 361-3107 FOR UPDATES.
Ministry of Christian Services
Christian Services heeds Jesus’ call to serve His people through outreach:
- Prayer chain – Participants pray daily for the steady stream of those facing myriad challenges. Send prayer requests via email to Kim Porpora at email@example.com or call the office.
- Preparation of food
- for families after a funeral Mass at church (repast);
- for monthly Senior Luncheons
- Distribution of food:
- from the Food Pantry weekly;
- in the form of Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets for the needy
- Prayer Blankets – Participants make no-sew fleece blankets as a community, which are blessed and distributed by request to those in need of comfort.
- The Giving Tree – Participants orchestrate the collection of Christmas gifts for needy children.
While Pam Vogt coordinates many of the activities, she is assisted by co-coordinators. Call the office at 361-3107 to be put in touch with the right person.
Ministry of Social Activities
Social Activities organizes and oversees social events throughout the year, such as themed dinners, breakfasts and the Parish Picnic. Many hands make light work.
Coordinator: Rick Dzurilla, 646-208-3552
Ministry for Education and Faith Formation
- Registered and potty-trained preschoolers and those in kindergarten
- receive instruction during scheduled Sunday Masses.
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word also takes place during scheduled Sunday Masses for youngsters Grade 1 and older; they return to their families in church after the homily.
- Classes for Grade 1 students are held at 10 a.m. Sunday; Grades 2-8 are held 6:30-8 p.m. weeknights
- Catechists are volunteers who share their heartfelt faith with our children.
Coordinator: Jessica Carpino, 361-5816
Adult Faith Formation
Adult Education participants sponsor ongoing programs that pertain to the application of Christian principles to our everyday lives, including book clubs, Scripture study and retreats. New members are always welcome.
Coordinator: Patty Brooks, 457-1520
Ministry of Worship and Spiritual Life
Ministers of the Word are adult men and women with strong voices who lend human voices to the Word of God at all weekend Masses and Holy Days.
Coordinator: Michael McCabe, 347-218-1246
Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist are Catholics in good standing, having received the Sacraments of Initiation. They assist in the distribution of the Eucharist at Mass.
Coordinator: Peggy Mackey, 692-0105
Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick & Homebound
These Eucharistic Ministers are specially trained to bring Communion to those in hospitals, nursing homes or are homebound.
Coordinator: Gail VanTassel, 457-3432
A young person is eligible for altar-server training once he or she has received First Eucharist.
Contact the church office for information, 361-3107
The choir leads the congregation in sung prayer. Neither experience nor the ability to read music is required.
Music Director: Debbe Garry, 695-1944
Saturday Choir: Maxine Martin (Contact the office)
This ministry is named for Joseph of Arimathea, who buried Jesus’ body after taking it down from the cross. In that same spirit, members of this ministry attend funeral Masses at St. Paul’s. By their presence, they support and comfort families of deceased parishioners.
Arimatheans greet and usher guests to their seats. They point out where the restrooms are; they hand out tissues. Some are also available to serve as lectors, Eucharistic Ministers or altar servers when needed.
It is not uncommon for longtime parishioners, whose families have scattered, to spend their later years in another state. However, often their request is to be buried from St. Paul’s. In this case, the Arimatheans play a critical role as most in attendance are unfamiliar with our parish.
Members of this ministry serve only as they are available.
Contact the office at 361-3107 for more information
A Youth Ministry, of course, needs youth – and ours is open to fifth- through 12th-graders.
But to really soar, it needs the support and commitment of our adults willing to share their God-given gifts, inspiring by example. Adults will also be required to oversee and help energize on-site activities as well as off-site adventures.
The group typically meets for a monthly Friday Night Live! that is filled with fun – including music, games, snacks, often a movie and always laughter. There are seasonal activities; perhaps water balloons in summer, trunk-or-treating in fall or caroling at a nursing home in December.
This group was launched in January of 2019.
Coordinator: Chris Worthington, 248-3120